Prevention and prohibition of ragging in an educational institution like PBIN, imparting quality education, is of a great concern. The authorities are vigilant and regulations have been framed adhering to the apex bodies of higher education in the country to root out ragging in all its forms in the Universities and its affiliated colleges across the country. In this context, actions are taken with a procedural investigation. Generally, the followings points encompass our topic.
- Ragging can affect an individual in innumerable aspects, psychological, social, political, economic, cultural and academic.
- Activities by any student/s whether vocabulary, written, over emails, digital media, social blogs, public insults or by any physical act which have rudely teased or manhandled a fresher or any other students.
- Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student/s which cause or are likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm, or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any fresher or any other student.
- Provoking any student/s to perform anything which the student will not do in the ordinary circumstances and which has the effect of causing or generating a mental agony, shame, ,torment or embarrassment and indirectly also affects mentally other fellow students.
- Any act that disrupts or disturbs the free flow of regular academic activity of a student by another fellow student.
- Exploiting the humbleness of a junior student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of seniors.
- Any act of financial extortion on any student by fellow student/s.
- Any act of physical abuse of sexual nature or assaults, obscene and lewd acts, unacceptable gestures, causing physical harm or any other lethal activities.
- Any act or abuse by spoken words, insults, including deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in discomfiture to others.
- The human rights perspective of ragging which involves the injury caused to the fundamental right to human dignity through humiliation heaped on junior students by seniors; often resulting in the extreme step of self-termination by the victims.
It will always be emphasized that ragging of and among students of this institution in any form at any location within the premises will not be tolerated. For the purpose of discouraging any nature of ragging the following steps actions shall be construed as the forms of ragging
- The punishment to be meted out has to be exemplary and justifiably harsh to act as a deterrent against recurrence of such incidents.
- A First Information Report must be filed invariably by the institutional authorities with the local police station. All efforts should be made to ensure that cases involving ragging are taken up on priority basis to send the message that ragging is not only to be discouraged but also to be dealt with sternly.
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence, as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee of PBIN, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the University level shall be any one or a combination of the following:
- Cancellation of admission
- Suspension from attending classes
- Withholding/withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process
- Withholding results
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/expulsion from the hostel
- Rustication from the institution for a period as may be determined by the appropriate authority
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution of the University
- A Financial penalty amount as directed by the managing committee
- Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified
On proper investigation and identification, the institution can resort to collective punishment as a deterrent action to ensure community pressure on the potential harassers.
As a preventive measure, all the existing students, freshers and their parents/guardians shall submit an undertaking in the prescribed form at the beginning of the academic session itself, failing which the student concerned will not be allowed to attend classes until he/she and his/her parents/guardians submit the said undertaking.
All the students of PBIN are advised to abide by the instructions scrupulously to ensure a healthy academic atmosphere and make it a ragging-free campus.
Strict observance of the instructions and cooperation with the University in its efforts to ensure a “Ragging Free University” is highly solicited.
Click here to see National Anti Ragging portal for student registration